Inspiration

“Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul.” - Marcus Aurelius

Friday, January 6, 2012

My "To Do List" Makeover

This afternoon after school, I got together with some friends and their children at a playground to take advantage of this unseasonably warm winter weather (yes, I did post just two days ago that it was 10 degrees outside) and to let the kids blow off some steam.  As the kids swung from the monkey bars, slid down poles and climbed up the slides, the moms stood nearby enjoying some precious adult conversation.  One of my friends, a woman who I have known since college, mentioned that she had read my blog post about breakfast and had to laugh at herself this morning when she found her 2-year-old son sitting on her lap at the breakfast table eating from her oatmeal bowl.  She joked that fine china probably was not enough to make her breakfast more enjoyable.  She did, though, go on to say that while her older child was at school and her younger one napped, she took the opportunity to enjoy a warm beverage and read a book - a simple activity yet one that she enjoyed - and needed - very much but for which she seldom finds time.  I could certainly relate to this.  I am sure everyone can whether a stay-at-home parent, a working parent, a single working person, a student. We live in a busy society.  We all feel compelled to be as productive as possible during the day in order to experience a sense of accomplishment.  And we hope that this sense of accomplishment will, in turn, lead to a sense of happiness.  Because of this compulsion toward productivity, we neglect ourselves.  We actually diminish the importance our own sense of well-being and inner peace, which ultimately IS what will really bring us happiness, by believing that accomplishing some project, task or favor will give us a great sense of fulfillment.    I usually create a "To Do List" for myself for the week.  The list is usually filled with exactly that: projects, tasks, favors, errands, etc.  But I've decided to create a new list for myself - one that will supersede my usual list; one that will help to achieve balance between my mind, body and spirit. Here goes:


1. Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day.  We all know the health benefits.  We all know we should do this.  No more lame excuses.  For a reminder about the benefits of 30 minutes of daily exercise, watch this awesome video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo&feature=share


2. Get enough sleep.  Pick a time to go to bed and stick to it.  Whatever needs to be done can probably wait until tomorrow.  A good night sleep will help you fight off disease and illness, can help you lose weight, will help with focus and brain power, and can help with depression.  Pretty important stuff.


3. Stay hydrated.  Here's a link to a great article about the importance of good hydration: http://experiencelife.com/article/drink-to-your-health/


4. Eat right.  That means eating more fruits & vegetables, whole grains, lean protein and less processed and high fat junk.  I've been completely inspired by a high school friend who is a Health Coach and Personal Chef.  Check out her blog at http://jessica-hilton.healthcoach.integrativenutrition.com/blog and be sure to sign up for her newsletter.


5. Meditate daily.  Or at least take a few minutes of quiet time every day to breathe deeply and de-clutter your mind.


6.  State your intentions for the day by either telling them to someone else or writing them down.  These are NOT task-based intentions.  These are intentions for living such as "I intend to be more patient today" or "I intend to be more present today."  By stating these intentions aloud, we are more likely to stick to them.


7. State what you are grateful for by either telling someone else or writing it down.  "Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow." ~ Melody Beattie

8. Practice compassion.  As the Dalai Lama says, "The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater our own sense of well-being becomes. Cultivating a close, warm-hearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. This helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the ultimate source of success in life."

This list is pretty simple and straight-forward.  I have printed it out and hung it on the wall in my office.  It includes the things that I think are most important to help me create my sanctuary - the place where my happiness dwells. I am making a commitment to refer to this list daily to ensure that I am doing the things that are most important for my own well-being.  In nurturing myself I will be of more value to myself and to the people I love.  And that is the most important accomplishment I can think of.


No comments:

Post a Comment